So you are tired of your WRT160N dropping connections or maybe you want to turn it into a wireless bridge, DD-WRT is the solution. Also, if you are just looking for a cheap DD-WRT router, you can find a refurbished WRT160N on Amazon for usually less than 30 dollars.
WARNING: When flashing your router with custom firmware, there is always a small chance of bricking your router.
- First, you will need to make a hardwired connection to the router (do not attempt this over a wireless connection).
- Next, you will need to download the DD-WRT firmware for this router. The firmware can be found HERE. Find the build folder with the newest date stamp. Then in that folder, find the firmware file that has “WRT160Nv3” in the file name. I used dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt160nv3.bin since it is the latest version at the time. Some people recommended using build 16773 since the wifi drivers in newer builds may cause problems.
- After obtaining the DD-WRT firmware, you will need to perform a 30/30/30 reset on your router.
- Next, you will need to open a browser and navigation to http://192.168.1.1/. You should see the following screen:
- If your computer is not able to connect, you may have to assign an IP address to your network connection, such as the following:
- Now you will click the browse button and select the DD-WRT firmware file that you downloaded earlier and then press the Upload button. You should now see this screen:
- Do not press anything, it may take a few minutes to complete. Look at your router and once the lights are steadily lit up and not flashing, you may click the continue button.
- You should now see the change password screen (do not bother setting this now):
- You will now perform another 30/30/30 reset on your router. After that, navigate to 192.168.1.1 and hit the Reboot link on the page. Your router is now ready to be configured.
The Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router is really three devices in one box. First, there s the Wireless Access Point, which lets you connect to the network without wires. There s also a built-in 4-port full-duplex 10/100 Switch to connect your wired-Ethernet devices together. Finally, the Router function ties it all together and lets your whole network share a high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection.