In this post, I will walk you through converting your TP-Link TL-WR1043ND from factory firmware to DD-WRT 3rd party firmware. DD-WRT is generally more stable than the factory firmware and contains more advanced features. This is a pretty easy firmware upgrade with one catch. If your router’s Serial Number begins with 12, then you will need to perform an additional step before converting to DD-WRT. The extra step is to flash a special german firmware image before flashing to DD-WRT. Newer versions of the TL-WR1043ND router turn off the WAN port during a firmware upgrade which never gets turned back on in DD-WRT. This special german firmware image prevents the WAN from being turned off during the DD-WRT conversion.
**UPDATE** If you already have a non working DD-WRT install, you can use this file to revert your firmware back to stock TP-Link. Then you can install the german firmware file and then install DD-WRT.
- First, you will need to make a hardwired connection to the router (do not attempt this using a wireless connection).
- Next you will need to obtain the DD-WRT firmware for this router. The firmware can be found HERE. The link is to the DD-WRT ftp site. Select the latest year, then select the most recent build (not a testing build), then select the tplink_tl-wr1043nd folder, and lastly click the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file. I used build 19419 at the time of writing this.
- If you have a router that has a serial number starting with 12, then you will need to download THIS german firmware file, otherwise you can skip this step.
- Open up a browser and navigate to http://192.168.1.1 and the default user is admin, default password is admin.
- Go to System Tools and then Firmware Upgrade. You should see the following screen:
- If your router serial number starts with 12, select browse and choose the german firmware file that you downloaded earlier. Otherwise select browse and choose the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file that you downloaded from DD-WRT.
- You will then see the next two screens and your router will automatically reboot.
- If you uploaded the german firmware file, then you will need to go back to System-Tools then Firmware-Upgrade to upload the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file.
- Once you have uploaded the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file, the router will reboot and you will see the DD-WRT setup screen. You just need to set your username and password and you are ready to start configuring your DD-WRT router.
If you have any questions or suggestions, leave a comment. Also, let me know what builds you have found to be stable on this router.
300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router
The TL-WR1043ND creates a wireless network with speed of up to 300Mbps and has 4 Gigabit ports to support a powerful wired network. The TL-WR1043ND allows you to simultaneously enjoy multiple bandwidth-consuming applications like streaming HD video, making VoIP calls, sharing large files and playing online games. Plus, it comes equipped with a USB sharing port, allowing you to share files, printers, ftp servers, and media servers across your network. It is an ideal wireless solution for home and small office networks.
Gigabit Ports - Ultrafast Data Transfer Speed
With a built-in Gigabit Ethernet Switch, the TL-WR1043ND provides you with a robust and extremely fast wired network. Moreover, the TL-WR1043ND’s WAN to LAN throughput can achieve up to 800Mbps, allowing you to unleash the full potential of your network. You can use the Ethernet ports for printer, NAS, TV, and other network devices so that users can all share those devices through the wireless or wired connection.
Speed Boost Mode - Increase wireless speeds up to 450Mbps
Increase your wireless speed up to 450Mbps with the TL-WR1043ND’s Speed Boost Mode. Simply enable the mode in the web management page and you can enjoy HD video streaming and online gaming with an even more smooth experience than when it is under the normal mode.
USB Port - Easy Sharing
1. Share a Printer. It is common that multiple users share the same printer in the network. With the TL-WR1043ND, you can simply connect your printer to the USB port on the back of the router and print wirelessly.
One Button Security Setup - WPS
The TL-WR1043ND features Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) which allows you to set up a secure wireless connection without manually inputting the password. In order to use this function, you need to have another device such as a wireless adapter that also supports WPS. By pressing the WPS buttons on both devices, they can connect to each other.
IP QoS – Control Your Bandwidth
With Quality of Service (QoS), you can control how much bandwidth is allocated to each user. This ensures optimum utilization of bandwidth by controlling congestion and preventing bandwidth abuse. This way users of a small network receive committed and specific bandwidth, preventing non-critical applications from degrading network performance.
Easy To Use
The TL-WR1043ND comes with a Quick Setup feature in its web management page that leads you through a step-by-step process to set up your router. You don't need to install any software or use a CD to finish the setup. Within minutes, your router will be up and running.
TP-LINK Wireless Router Series